Next stop, insanity

Friday, June 09, 2006

Half Nail, Half Polish

I was talking to a girl at work yesterday. A very nice girl who belongs to the rare breed of “Desis with dress sense.” While talking to her, I suddenly noticed her nails. Her nails, with only patches of once vibrant and lush nail-polish left, were looking like an old weather washed wood fence. That nail-polish, mutilated by scratches and bite marks, clinging on to the nail for dear life, was a sore spot in her, otherwise impeccable, appearance. It was like a teeeny little bird dropping on a shiny new car. I wished she had either removed it completely or re-touch it to its full glory.

I know it’s none of my business, but, half peeled nail-polish looks quite ugly. It’s as bad and noticeable as patchy lipstick. I do notice such unintentional abstract art on nails from time to time and every time I do, I feel bad for the woman because her effort to look pleasant is spoilt by one little oversight.

8 Comments:

  • :) Haha - looking at the title of the post, I thought you were talking about a girl with mixed parentage and started wondering, what race is "Nail"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jun 09, 08:51:00 PM 2006  

  • ur penname is impressive "twisted DNA" !!! you're into bio-technology or what?....

    and the nail thing....natural clean nails r better than polished patchy nail isnt it?

    By Blogger harshavardhan reddy, at Sun Jun 11, 07:28:00 AM 2006  

  • "..I know it’s none of my business. "

    EggZaactly.

    By Blogger Persona non gratis, at Sun Jun 11, 03:06:00 PM 2006  

  • You are more observant than you should be!

    By Blogger Casement, at Mon Jun 12, 01:30:00 PM 2006  

  • Chipped nail polish has always been a pet peeve; if you're going to DETAIL yourself, do it right. It IS like wearing lipstick on your teeth.

    By Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert, at Fri Jun 16, 12:38:00 PM 2006  

  • Phooey. Who says we're trying to look pleasant constantly? the type of people who're absolutely pedantic about their appearance look out for these things - it's like mismatched socks to them. i occasionally put some nail polish on if i'm at a mate's house or sth, i don't really own any myself. i can't be bothered when in a day or two it's peeled off - so what? who cares? i don't. so anyone who may feel sorry for me out there - save it :-) Usually, it's bossy women who come along and demand you either touch up or take it off - there are so many nosey people in the world, and it's honestly , such a petty thing. If they're that bothered they'll sort it out themselves. no excess pity needed. I don't place importance on such a thing - i think it's pretty silly that others do - but hey that's their business!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Jun 21, 03:13:00 AM 2006  

  • Sonia, it's a free world. You are free to keep the nails the way you want and I am free to blog about it :)

    By Blogger Twisted DNA, at Wed Jun 21, 02:58:00 PM 2006  

  • You are absolutely right. I used to be particular till I had my son. But you've made me sit up and take note again. My grandmother brought me up with please and thank you and not hunching... and with all that, taught me to either keep my nails plain or well painted. She had this little very british ditty about a girl who cannot pay attention to her nails. i guess its how we feel about men who dont have trimmed beards or a clean shave and roam around with stubble. perhaps both sexes need to remember that God lies in the details!

    By Blogger the mad momma, at Sat Jul 08, 09:55:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home